How To Apply The Principles Of War To Real Estate Investing
There has been a lot of chatter lately about Florida real estate investing, as many large funds are exploring different methods to acquire holdings in the Sunshine State.
Having spoken with several different real estate investing groups heading our way, I am noticing a common trend.
There are many funds that have raised hundreds of millions of dollars for the purpose of investing in distressed real estate, but they have stalled in the property acquisition stage due to poorly thought-out strategies for buying so many properties.
Principles Of Real Estate Investing
There are fundamental concepts that apply to real estate investing that have been found true consistently on the battlefield throughout history. Prudent investors can improve their return on investment by taking a lesson from our military history and doctrine.
When I was a cadet at West Point, I was taught that the art of war is ruled by 9 key principles. All of these principles must work in harmony with each other, meaning a commander who leans too heavily on one will be burned by another.
The nine Principles of War, as defined by the US Army include:
- Mass - Concentrate combat power at the decisive place and time
- Objective - Direct every military operation towards a clearly defined, decisive, and attainable objective
- Offensive - Seize, retain, and exploit the initiative
- Surprise - Strike the enemy at a time, at a place, or in a manner for which he is unprepared
- Economy of Force - Allocate minimum essential combat power to secondary efforts
- Maneuver - Place the enemy in a position of disadvantage through the flexible application of combat power
- Unity of Command - For every objective, ensure unity of effort under one responsible commander
- Security - Never permit the enemy to acquire an unexpected advantage
- Simplicity - Prepare clear, uncomplicated plans and clear, concise orders to ensure thorough understanding
White Paper On Principles Of Real Estate Investing
I have prepared a brief white paper that applies all 9 principles of war to real estate investing in an attempt to provide a path for preparing a strategic plan for the acquisition of properties in Florida. To get your free edition, simply click on the image to the left and you will be able to download the real estate investing white paper to your own computer.
The purpose of the paper is to show institutional investors a smarter way to deploy capital in the Florida real estate investing arena through the implementation of a strategically sound plan.
I feel that better planning will help most of these fund managers better (and faster) deploy the capital that they have raised for real estate investing in Florida and potentially seize the initiative from the scores of others investors heading south to Florida.
I hope you take the time to read and enjoy the white paper on real estate investing (and the principles of war), and please be sure to come back and comment here with your thoughts and reactions to the paper.
*Joe Manausa Real Estate is a brokerage company headquartered in Tallahassee, Florida. Its unique business model provides specialists to both home sellers and home buyers, and the results speak for themselves. JMRE has significantly more 5-star reviews on google than any other local competitor. Joe Manausa Real Estate is a leader in internet marketing and utilizes search engine optimization, email marketing, social media and data analytics to get their clients’ home sold faster and for more money than any other Tallahassee brokerage firm. For more information, visit www.manausa.com or call us at (850) 366-8917.