Homebuyers Should Avoid These Common Mistakes
One of the benefits of working in a real estate office that utilizes a team approach to customer service is that I get a whole bunch of feedback from our great real estate agents. During our past company business meeting, we were reviewing some of the common mistakes that we see homebuyers make in the Tallahassee real estate market. With this fresh information on the top of my mind, I figured it would make for great blog content this morning.
- Creating A Budget - One of the more confusing aspects of buying a home is the loan qualification process. Loan programs vary, so how much home you can buy under each program varies as well. But I think there is a bigger point at stake here. Why is a bank telling you how much to spend on your home? Shouldn't your family budget determine what you are willing to spend? I recommend families look at their income and expenses and then determine a comfortable range of monthly expenses. I suspect if more people had done this in the past, the crazy loan programs and the chaos that ensued might not have been so bad.
- Determining A "Haves" and "Wants" list - Much like the issue of budget, we often times see buyers become "fatigued" with the home selection process. The easiest way to avoid this is to create a list of what the next home "must have," as well as a list of features that you "want" it to have. Since there is no such thing as a perfect home, knowing the difference between your "haves" and "wants" will make the selection process that much easier.
- Recognizing Value - Often times, buyers will let the condition of a property disproportionately affect their valuation of a property. Many times we see a buyer select a home in great shape over a home that, with a few cosmetic improvements, would be far more valuable for the money. Remember, carpet, painting, and minor repairs can be accomplished prior to closing, so don't let the conditions of these items affect your personal valuation of a property.
- Self Educating - We have so much information available on our website, there is no reason that a buyer needs to go through this process as if they were picking up a bag of fruit at the grocery. Understanding all of opportunities that are available for a homebuyer, such as warranties and even cashback at closing, will help buyers get the best possible deal available when they buy a home.
- Learning From Others - When you meet with your agent at our real estate office, take the time to ask questions and listen to what we have learned from the homebuyers who came before you. Remember, experience matters!
*Joe Manausa Real Estate is a brokerage company headquartered in Tallahassee, Florida. Its unique business model provides specialists to both home sellers and home buyers, and the results speak for themselves. JMRE has significantly more 5-star reviews on google than any other local competitor. Joe Manausa Real Estate is a leader in internet marketing and utilizes search engine optimization, email marketing, social media and data analytics to get their clients’ home sold faster and for more money than any other Tallahassee brokerage firm. For more information, visit www.manausa.com or call us at (850) 366-8917.