When people who are considering a career in real estate ask me about getting licensed, one of the first bits of advice they seek is "What real estate school should I attend?" This is almost always followed with a question about the choice between taking a live class versus taking the instruction over the internet.
When I first went to a real estate school to gain the knowledge to earn my Florida Real Estate License, there was no internet and no such thing as computerized exams. Everything was still very much a paper world, and the instruction that I received at The Real Estate School in Tallahassee was delivered by teachers in a traditional classroom setting. My teacher for the salesperson's course was Ed O'Donnell, and he had my class fully prepared for the State exam.
And that right there is the goal of a real estate school, to give its students the knowledge required to pass the State licensing exam. Throughout my 20+ years in the real estate business in Tallahassee, I have referred hundreds of people to Ed O'Donnell at The Real Estate School because I know the instruction is excellent and the school continues to stay current on the ever-changing rules and processes of the Florida real estate industry.
FREE BONUS!!! - Tell Ed (at The Real Estate School) that I promised you a FREE CD of Exam Questions & Answers when you enroll in the pre-licensing course. I believe I spent an additional $199 to take a "cram course" when I was preparing to take the state exam, and I only purchased the course because it contained the information that you will get for free if you take the pre-licensing course from The Real Estate School.
Go To The Real Estate School Online
When asked which I recommend for students, live classes versus online training, my answer has changed over the years. The real estate industry is now online, most of the world is moving online, so I strongly recommend that new applicants take their training and conduct their studies online. The State exam will be administered on a computer, so learning and preparing for the test online will most likely be beneficial.
Florida Real Estate License Application
Tip: The steps required to get a Florida real estate license are few and they are fairly easy if you do them in the proper order. Getting your application into the hands of the Department Of Business & Professional Regulation is the first thing you need to do, as it takes them a while to approve you for the exam. Make sure you get that done first, even before you start your pre-licensing coursework. There is nothing worse than finishing your coursework and having to wait for approval to take the State exam.
The following requirements must be fulfilled to get your real estate license:
- AGE: All applicants must be at least 18 years old.
- SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER: All applicants must have a United States Social Security number to apply.
- EDUCATION: All applicants must hold a high school diploma or its equivalent.
- FEE: The State license fee is $105 which can be paid either by using the DBPR Online Services or by personal check or money order.
- FINGERPRINTS: An applicant must have a background check as part of the licensing process. To learn more about fingerprinting, please visit this site.
- APPLICATION: Complete the application by clicking on the "Online Services" link on the DBPR website.
- PRE-LICENSE EDUCATION: All applicants must complete and pass a Florida Real Estate Commission approved 63-hour Sales Associate pre-license course.
- EXAMINATIONS: The examination is given by Pearson Vue. To learn more, you can visit their website to find a location near you to set up your exam once the application has been approved by the DBPR.
- EXAM HANDBOOK: For detailed information about how the test is scored and a wealth of information about preparing for the test, you can download the resource that was prepared by DBPR in 2005: [download id="204"]
Tell Ed You Want The Free Real Estate School CD
Go to The Real Estate School's website for more information about the 63 hour real estate licensing course. Ensure that you tell Ed that you qualify for the CD when you enroll.
Joe Manausa, MBA is a 26 year veteran of real estate brokerage in Tallahassee, Florida and has owned and managed his own company since 1992. He is a daily blogger with content that focuses on real estate analytics and providing his clients with a tactical advantage in today's challenging market.