There really is a huge difference between the two different types of plans for marketing a home for sale on the internet. It has taken me three years to complete the evolution from where I was based in traditional realty methodologies to being a much more active marketer on the internet.
You see, the two methods are diametrically opposed, but very simple to understand.
- Passive Internet Marketing occurs when a real estate company starts the evolutionary process from traditional methods to the use of the internet. "Ads" are placed on the internet in the hopes that consumers will contact the real estate company and then a business relationship can begin. This is how our industry used newspapers, magazines, signs, and flyers in the past, and passive internet marketers have just added "the internet" to the list of passive marketing mediums.
- Active Internet Marketing requires the real estate company to have an ongoing relationship with the public, through multiple portals on the internet. There is no "set it and forget it" mentality when one is actively marketing a home for sale on the internet. An active company will engage as many resources online that can be utilized to push information flow to the consumer. This is not a "one-time" thing. It is an "all the time" thing, and it takes an organized, team committed effort to accomplish.
How You Can Tell Which One I Am
If you are considering the task of interviewing real estate agents for the job of selling your home, I believe you owe it to yourself to do some homework before you decide which companies you are going to interview. At a minimum, you can perform these 4 simple steps to find out if somebody you might want to interview is passive or active on the internet:
- Visit their local web site to see if it has dynamic, new content
- Review their site to see if it would draw you as a buyer (does it have killer content? or just pretty pictures?)
- Go to Compete.com and see if they are driving any traffic to their web site
- Discover how they plan to market your home for sale
Why You Must Hire An Active Online Real Estate Professional
The National Association of REALTORS recently published its annual survey of homebuyers which showed that 94% of recent homebuyers used the internet during their process of buying a home. The processes that a home buyer used in the past have been replaced with the tools and technologies that the internet provides for free, so a prudent real estate company will know how to take advantage of these resources and put your home in the best light possible.
Take the time to hire an active online real estate professional for the job of marketing your home for sale, it could save you tens of thousands of dollars (or even more!). Click here to find out how the team at Joe Manausa Real Estate uses an active, progressive home marketing plan to utilize all of the resources of the internet when marketing a home for sale.
Joe Manausa, MBA is a 26 year veteran of real estate brokerage in Tallahassee, Florida and has owned and managed his own company since 1992. He is a daily blogger with content that focuses on real estate analytics and providing his clients with a tactical advantage in today's challenging market.